Our aim is to make the Schools of King Edward VI in Birmingham as open as possible to all children. We know that parents worry about the cost of sending their child to school and we want to take that worry away. If your child is currently eligible, a free school meal will be provided. For any child offered a place at one of our schools who is eligible for pupil premium (i.e. who has been eligible for free school meals at any point in the last six years) we will provide:
- Confidentiality – about financial arrangements with regard to your child. Assistance is given automatically with the minimum of fuss so that no family can be identified as receiving support. Each school has someone you can talk to privately about any financial concerns.
- A free bus pass – via Centro (Network West Midlands) to get your child to and from school.
- A grant of £100 per year – for compulsory school uniform.
- A grant of £50 per year – for basic school sports kit (e.g. vests, shorts). Specialist sports equipment will be provided if your child is chosen to represent the School.
- Free essential equipment for lessons – including free laboratory coats for science and aprons for design technology including work with materials.
- Free essential school trips – which are part of your child’s education will be free, e.g. trips to theatres, museums and field trips which form part of teaching subjects in the curriculum. This does not apply to extra-curricular trips e.g. ski trips, etc.
- One free residential trip in the UK – This will happen once, usually early, in your child’s school career which will help develop independence and friendship.
- Free lessons to learn to play a musical instrument – musical instruments would be loaned to your child free of charge for these lessons; funding would not be generally available to purchase an instrument for your child.
To register for free school meals or claim any grants, please contact the Finance Officer at School.
There are a number of small trusts that allow us to support girls in unusual or needy circumstances. A parent who feels that she/he needs to call on a trust fund should approach the Headteacher in confidence.
For students who live in the ancient parish of Yardley and whose parents receive free school meals additional sums may be available on application to the Yardley Trust.